In between rains over the last week or so I have transplanted from the starter pots:
the four varieties of peppers
the four varieties of tomatoes
when all the planting is done I will find miscellaneous spots for the left over brussel sprouts
Everything previously planted is doing great but the raspberries. Of the four root sets, only one survived, it was funny taking back three bags of dirt to Lowes, they took them tho and I got two potted raspberries, they appear to be doing great.
I have thinned the:
When I transplant from the peat starter pots, I tear off the bottom and plant two together. This year it has been so wet every starter pot worked, more thinning.
The peas from seed are doing great. GOOD NEWS, repeat, GOOD NEWS, the Fig tree survived the winter. All the perennial herbs in buried pots have also survived and have been dug out and are up on the deck.
All that remains are sown from seed after it stops raining in a couple days:
more spinach (in pots on the deck ?)
more arugula (in pots on the deck ?)
basil in pots on the deck
cilantro in pots on the deck
winter squash when the peas and beats are done
This will complete the planting vegetables.
I will transplant the marigolds in the corners and in pots.
Surveying the planting spots for the trays of transplants
Excavating and conditioning with potting soil the transplant sites
Transplanting the seedlings
Sowing second spring seeds
All the first transplanting and seed sowing (not the late spring planting) were complete on April 26th.
We had our last frost April 24th, three days after the average last frost, still, the last frost is May 15th. It was not a hard frost, froze over the birdbath but no harm done in the greenhouse. The greenhouse's bottom shelf is full of bottles of water to hold the heat in times like this.
Everything went together like it was planned. Well, my new GrowVeg.com Garden Planner helped out a lot, still learning the tricks, it is very rich in features. It is classic, I wish I had bought it months earlier.
Starting to fix the fence. Last year the fence was not tight enough, that is how the bunnies got in to the garden, it was a disaster, destroyed the Beet crop.
Big plans this year, I have got a bolt cutter and I am cutting up the broken cone shaped tomato support cages and using them it is raw material to make fence stakes to reinforce the fence. Previous years I just used the sticks from the bushes to strengthen the fence line but sticks wind up rotting in about a year.
Update: The thought was that it will only take a few hours has proved wrong, maybe as much as six hours.
Update(2): Yes, took 3.5 hours more of bending, scrunching, kneeling and sitting on the ground to work on the foot of the fence. Also cut up several more support cages, all had broken bits but one. The cutting up the cages is just a few snips for the bolt cutters. I then bent the cut T or Cross shaped scraps with pliers into two or three hooks spread about for the resulting fence stakes. This Hand Crafted, Artisanal Tiple Hooked Fence Stake™ works well with chicken wire fencing.
The actual mending of the fence is the replacing the sticks with the 3 hooked stake twice between each fence post. Now, the foot of the fence can't just be "nosed" under by an Evil Bunny.
Transplanted two Prelude Raspberries and a Triple Crown Blackberry. Put several shovels of composted manure at the bottom of the hole, removed the temp pot and dropped them in the holes. No hassle, looks great.
Stripped off the landscaping fabric, ran the Nuclear Powered Tiller and planted a double row of snap/snow peas with some room left for some radishes later. Also planted 6 rows of beets. There remains about half the plot.
The greenhouse is doing great, plan to plant last weekend in April.
Placed more germinating seeds in starter trays, used potting soil instead of vermiculite. All the seeds transfered were put in the filter paper as described in the post "Gardening Around Real Life". The plants, each marked 'b' put in the trays are:
This winter was also a hard winter, where is Global Warming? The Rosemary again did not survive the winter, that is two years in a row, after several good years. The fig tree again looks like it did not survive above ground. Last year it put new shoots out from the roots, but yielded no figs, looks that way again this year. It seems the line where the Rosemary and Figs survive the winter has moved South. Where is my Global Warming?
Gardening around real life. The gardening books presume that you are doing nothing else but gardening, in real life, there are vacations, business trips, etc and gardening is done around these events. What follows is a trip right in the middle of Spring Seed Starting.
4/3, Okay, got back from Vegas and 90% of the seedlings survived in the greenhouse. The weather was gray and cool so the seedlings did not overheat or dry out. I will put germinated seeds in a starter tray for the seedlings that look iffy.
3/27, This will be published after returning from a short trip to Vegas. We are traveling for five days and are leaving the starter trays at a tricky moment. The green house is up and there is not forecast any hot days, so the seedlings may survive only getting watered before leaving. The coldest bit of the forecast is the morning of leaving, I will bring the seedlings out to the greenhouse at the worst time.
So the response to this constraint is to start germinating a whole new set of seeds to eliminate the germinating time from the critical of having seedlings safely in the ground.
On Monday March 23rd I set more seeds to germinate these are the ones that took longer, the were marked with a 'b':