Fran picking beans. She picks a double handful each day from two 7 foot trellises too close together. Fran also picks peas, zucchinis, peppers, tomatoes, cauliflowers, cabbages and the eggplants. I pick the raspberries and blackberries.
We have had a good year so far, the only failures are the cucumbers which started well and then died off completely, a mystery. The zucchinis are dying off, the roots are rotting away, I planted in the same plot as last year, I guess that is why they have crop rotation. The bunny proof fence is still a success and bambi hasn't found the garden, yet.
I plan to enlarge the garden next year, there are still sunny spots just growing grass.
On July 2nd I pruned the Raspberries, and tied up the canes to baling wire strung between two fence posts. This is the first time I have correctly pruned the Raspberries. I am a low maintenance type gardener so I had just allowed chaos to reign. The wild raspberries across the street appear to be just fine, but, it seems you have to prune the type of raspberries I have to get a spring and fall crop. Since I know nothing I went to youtube.com, looked up "pruning raspberries", watched three or four videos and was an expert. I went to my local hardware, bought some baling wire to string between two fence posts, and got started.
I must say it was fun working with the baling wire, easy to bend, wrap, tie, and cut. It made me think of my visit to the Curtis Museum in Hammondsport, NY and the days when high tech was held together with baling wire.
There are four Raspberry plants, the first two to the left, this year's. The next bush is two years old and yielded good, and the one to the right is last year's bush, not so good last year and disappointing this year.
The basic method of pruning is cut all the brown stems, aka canes, and the pencil thin green canes. Tie the remaining canes to the wire. I used a clove hitch around the wire and a square knot around the canes. I used to sail. The end product looked like I knew what I was doing.
I left one cane untied, couldn't resist a little anarchy. Notice, the Holy statue can now see the sun.
Cabbage update: I wound up planting eight cabbage plants each with two foot spacing in the cabbage tunnels stretched out to eight feet. The tunnels can stretch out to almost ten feet, next year. The seedlings in the tunnels were germinated June 19th and the 21st. The sprouts were put into a starter tray about June 27th and the seedlings transplanted into the ground July 9th. Most of the timing was determined by social events, but, everything seems fine.