It's been as miserable a day as you could imagine. I'm about to set up the greenhouse, first thing I've done is gathered all the gear together, put it in a pile to see if I can insert a picture from the insert image feature of the wordpress app. I am using the WordPress app on my cellphone to voice input this page.
The plan is to tie up the greenhouse frame a little better with some fishing line that I have. After that I will put the cover on, then I'll carry it out and set it up. Earlier I went looked at the site in the garden. It's not really the best site but its what I have and maybe next year I'll try to arrange things differently. Back in the corner formed by the pavers is where it will go.
First I'm going to lash up. This is about the fifth year of use. It is very flimsey, so I try to tie it together
Here I am with using the selfie stick together picture of me putting the cover on the green house in the rain and yes that's snow on the side.
Turned out its done well. I got the insulation in, got the site up, and got it stayed up three different places. Reember this surrrived hurricane sandy a few years ago. It was all stayed up like this. Let me go I finish up. Still needs the the ballast and heatsink plastic bottles. That'll be it put there tomorrow.
Yes that is a large Queen of Hearts. That's a poster board from the Sarah's middle school years ago. It happens to be made out of styrofoam so I'm using it to insulate the north side of the greenhouse.
This entire webpage has been done so far using the voice feature of the WordPress app and taking pictures and inserting them in the Add Media function.
Okay, I will admit to a last editing pass on the desktop.
Great success with germinating seeds in filter paper and transplanting the sprouted seeds to starter trays. In some cases there was nearly 100% germination. Most of the seed packs were a year or more older. It is a bit tedious transplanting the sprouted seeds with tweezers tho. In previous years I would start many trays to get the plants I needed for the garden.
Well, it took 14 days, but, my favorite pepper the Corno Rosso (4) have germinated and I have put them in the starter tray. Started more eggplants (2a). Started more bell peppers (7a). In only 8 days I got germinations for my other favorite pepper, the Hungarian Hot Pepper (9a), started a bunch of these. Only about half the Sweet Bannana pepper (8) seeds germinated, they are in the trays now.
On March 12th got the first germinations, 1 Red Siberian Pole Tomatos, 3 plum tomatos and 5 Cauliflower. Using tweezers placed them in vermiculite starting cups. Every starting cup has a sprout. Also got my favorite pepper seeds, Hungarian Hot peppers. Put some in the filter paper to germinate (9a) and some in the starting cups (9).
Today, March 15th check to germinating filter paper. None yet for the 9a Hungarian Hots, 8 sweet banana peppers, 4 Corno Roso (a favorite) Planted in the starting cups 6 cabbage, 7 bell pepper, 2 eggplants, and more 3 plum tomatos.
I have been thinking about the coming gardening season. We got 8.5 inches of snow yesterday, March 5th, so it seems time to get started. Last year I started the seeds in starter trays in the greenhouse on March 17th, two inches of snow that day.
This year I will use the technique espoused by Mel Bartholomew in his Square Foot Gardening book on page 163 in a blurb titled "Presprouting Beats the Season". Basicly, seeds are placed on a piece of filter paper, dampened, protected in a plastic bag until the root sprouts. The successful sprouts are then placed in a starting tray. More about the trays as it happens.